- Opposition Stages Walkout Against PM
ISLAMABAD, April 24, 2017: The Punjab Assembly adopted a resolution on Monday to express confidence on Prime Minister Muhammad Nawaz Sharif in the wake of Supreme Court’s decision about Panama Papers’ case, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during first sitting of 28th session:
- The Punjab Assembly met for an hour and 39 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1651 hours against the scheduled time of 1400 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the entire sitting.
- The Deputy Speaker was also present.
- The Chief Minister did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting for 53 minutes.
- Fifty-one MPAs (14%) were present at the outset and 60 (16%) at the adjournment of sitting.
- The Parliamentary leader of PTI attended the sitting.
- Five minority members were present.
- Tabled by the Minister for Law, the House adopted a resolution expressing confidence on Prime Minister of Pakistan in the wake of Apex Court’s verdict on Panama Papers’ case.
- The House witnessed presentation of the Punjab Women Protection Authority Ordinance 2017.
Representation and Responsiveness
- As many as ten out of 20 Starred Questions were responded to by the government during Question Hour while six questions were disposed of and four others were deferred due to the absence of movers. The lawmakers asked 16 Supplementary Questions, as well.
- Minister for Law made a statement on a Calling Attention Notice moved by Opposition Leader. Another CAN of PML-N lawmaker was not taken up due to his absence.
- Two Adjournment motions of PML-N lawmakers were deferred.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers spoke on three Points of Order consuming five minutes of the proceedings.
- The Opposition lawmakers walked out of the House at 1815 hours, demanding the Prime Minister to resign from his office. They did not return to the House till adjournment of sitting. Earlier, they also protested for 23 minutes.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Information on Members’ attendance is available on Punjab Assembly’s website.
The daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Punjab Assembly proceedings conducted by PATTAN Development Organization – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are regretted